Dermal filling agents are most commonly used to restore age related volume loss and to volumize the lips. By offering an array of different filling agents such as Restylane®, Juvederm®, Perlane®, Voluma® Restylane Silk, Radiesse®, Sculptra® we have the ability to deliver superb customized facial contouring, often referred to as the “Liquid Face Lift”.
Frequently Asked Questions
What to expect during your consultation
- Why you want the procedure, your expectations and desired outcome
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Use of current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drugs
- Discuss any past treatment with injectable fillers, facial shaping or Botox® therapy or other facial rejuvenation procedures
Your Practitioner may also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Discuss the options available to you for facial rejuvenation
- Examine and measure your face
- Take photographs for your medical record
- Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of soft tissue augmentation and any risks or potential complications
What happens during soft tissue augmentation?
- Your practitioner will carefully evaluate your facial appearance and skin tone, and examine the areas of your face to be augmented with injectable fillers.
- Strategic points on your face may be marked as guides to the appropriate injection sites for the filler.
- The injection sites will be cleansed with an antibacterial agent and iced, or a topical numbing agent may be offered to make more sensitive patients comfortable.
- In some cases, the filler itself will contain an anesthetic agent. In other cases local anesthetic may be administered to the treatment site.
- Injection takes only a few moments per site and a few minutes for a course of treatment.
- Following injection, any markings will be cleansed, and icing may be offered to alleviate any temporary, minor discomfort. Mineral makeup may be carefully re-applied so long as care is taken not to apply pressure to the treatment area.
- Filling wrinkles or recessed scars involves multiple injections. In some cases where deeper injection of fillers is required, a local anesthetic may be used prior to treatment.
- Common sites for deeper tissue fillers are the nasolabial folds and marionette lines, or to enhance fullness in the cheeks.
- An improved appearance is visible almost immediately, although minor swelling or bruising may appear at the injection sites.
- With some fillers, a slightly “over-filled” appearance may be initially present. These conditions will resolve within a few hours, or at most a few days. The duration may be as long as a few weeks with injection of one’s own harvested fat.
The results of soft tissue augmentation using injectable fillers are apparent immediately. Your initial appearance after treatment with any filler may include:
- Mild swelling or bruising
- Temporary numbness or redness
- An “over-filled” appearance to treated areas
These conditions can be alleviated with topical icing and will improve within a matter of hours or just a few days.
Results and outlook
The results of soft tissue augmentation with injectable fillers are not permanent, even though a filler substance may be considered permanent. The continued aging of your face and variables in the absorption of fillers will affect how long your results last.
Should you choose not to repeat treatment, your appearance will return to its original condition. Plumped lips will lose volume and improved wrinkles, creases and scars will visibly recess and fully reappear in time.